MEDIA RELEASE – FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – JUNE 28, 2018
Vancouver, BC - At their over-flowing Special General Meeting held at Heritage Hall on June 27, 2018, the Green Party of Vancouver nominated 11 candidates for the October 20 Vancouver civic election – 4 for City Council, 3 for Park Board and 4 for School Board. The numbers of members lined-up to vote for candidates extended up Main street well before the meeting.
Nominated candidates include:
For City Council:
- Adriane Carr, incumbent who topped Council results in the 2014 election
- Pete Fry, community activist and record vote-getter for the BC Greens in Vancouver
- Michael Wiebe, current Park Board Commissioner and Mt. Pleasant BIA President
- David Wong, architect and top 2017 Vancouver vote-getter and housing affordability critic for the BC Greens in the 2017 BC election
For Park Board:
- Stuart Mackinnon, incumbent and current Park Board chair
- Camil Dumont, Inner City Farm founder
- Dave Demers, Horticulturalist
For School Board:
- Janet Fraser, incumbent who topped the 2017 School Board by-election results and current School Board chair
- Estrellita Gonzalez, incumbent who was the #3 vote-getter in the 2017 School Board by-election
- Lois Chan-Pedley, Britannia Parents’ Advisory Committee member
- Nicholas Chernen, supportive parent to two children in the school system
The Vancouver Green Party Board of Directors maintained their stance of not going for a majority on any board. They will run 4 candidates for City Council and School Board and 3 candidates for Park Board, based on the party leading in public opinion polls coupled with the fact that the October election is shaping up to be a change election.
“I’m excited,” said nominated candidate and current City Councillor Adriane Carr. “We’ve nominated a fabulous team of candidates for an election that people are saying will be a new breakthrough for the Vancouver Green Party.”
The Green Party of Vancouver is in continuing discussions with the Vancouver District Labour Council (VDLC) about the number of Green Party of Vancouver candidates VDLC will endorse, noting that Vision Vancouver, OneCity and COPE have all received VDLC support for running more candidates than the VDLC intends to endorse.
- 30 -