Students are at the centre of public education and our schools are the hearts of our communities. Your Green School Trustees will work hard to ensure that every child in Vancouver has the tools and sense of identity they need to succeed in a rapidly changing world.
Green Trustees will take a holistic and long-sighted view of public education in Vancouver. We will support the district to nurture students’ physical and mental well-being, academic achievement, as well as their sense of belonging to their communities. Imagine a school district where every child plants a tree that grows as they do, while also providing our city with more green space and shade to help adapt to climate change. Envision a city where students can access emerging forms of education like forest schools. Our kids deserve to graduate with purpose, dignity and a sense of excitement about their future.
Green trustees will seek out and listen to the voices of students, parents and guardians, teachers, support staff, administrators, and local communities, including Indigenous communities, as we advocate for our students, support neighbourhoods, and ensure good stewardship of our school district. We will work collaboratively with local First Nations, Metis and Inuit representative organizations, and all levels of government.
We will support kids and their families to navigate the social, environmental and development pressures that are a part of our everyday life as we learn from the past four years and adapt to a world with Covid. Greens are committed to keeping students at the heart of our work and decision making.
Green Trustees’ top priorities include:
- Exploring all possible means to increase school-age childcare spaces to meet the demand across our city.
- Building on the successes of expanding outdoor classrooms during the pandemic and finding more ways to encourage students and teachers to get into nature.
- Exploring creative ways to supplement educational funding and resources.
- Continuing the work established in the Food Framework and exploring creative ways to maximize gardening/food cultivation for students on school grounds.
- Ensuring the recently unanimously approved Equity statement is enacted across the district.
- Acting on Anti-racism and Non-discrimination strategic plan goals.
- Continuing the district’s Reconciliation journey.
- Advocating to City Council for increases to family-oriented density around schools that have more spaces for students
Your Greens will champion: